Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tao of Pooh


Prior to reading The Tao of Pooh, I found it amusing that we were going to read a book about Winnie the Pooh. Growing up, I loved watching Winnie the Pooh on the Disney Channel. He was one of my favorite characters. I never realized how someone could correlate the story of Pooh bear with Taoism. When I bought the book, I decided to read the back of the book, just to see what the author had to say. As I read the writing in red, “While Eeyore frets…and Piglet hesitates…and Rabbit calculates…and Owl pontificates…Pooh just is,” I started to understand how Pooh is an example of a Taoist. I found the book to be easy to comprehend. The stories that the author used helped especially because it was easier for me to visualize the different concepts that were discussed, including the topic about the Bisy Backson’s. When discussing what exactly a Bisy Backson is, the author stated that they are people who are “almost desperately active” and he also mentions that “if you want to be healthy, relaxed, and contented, just watch what a Bisy Backson does and then do the opposite”. I agree with the author when he refers to American culture as being full of Bisy Backsons. Americans are always on the go; it is seldom that most of us take breaks, because we are always busy and place work first. Even the Puritans were Bisy Backsons. “The Puritans practically worked themselves to death in the fields without getting much of anything in return for their tremendous efforts. They were actually starving until the wiser inhabitants of the land showed them a few things…now you plant; now you relax”. I think that it’s necessary to have an equal balance of work and relaxation in order to have a successful and enjoyable life. In my opinion Taoist views can be used as a solution to the problems that are found in American culture and in Americans. Throughout the book, and in the story of Winnie the Pooh, Pooh is always the character that is carefree and is never worried or stressed about life, he just is. This is completely opposite from our culture. However, if everyone followed the Taoist views, it would be harder to get things done if everyone had a carefree and a “go with the flow” attitude. So I think that there are certain times when Taoist views can be used in American culture.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you brought up the point of things not getting done if everyone just "went with the flow." While I think that Hoff would disagree with that completely and argue the opposite, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think some people would get more done, and others less, if people just "went with the flow." For example I spend a lot of time stressing and preparing and organizing before I start anything, and if instead I just started something and went with it, I'd probably be a lot more productive. But if someone else did the same, instead of starting something, they'd probably just sit around and not do much -- which Hoff might again argue is a good thing. I think Taoism "works" for some people and not for others -- it all comes down to mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute picture! I agree with your post completely, and I also thought it was really neat that Winnie the Pooh was related to Taoism in such an interesting unique way. I agree when you said that it was easy to comprehend, I think that's one of the parts that I enjoyed the most about the reading. Is that it wasn't an extremely complicated idea, and if someone were to first here that they are relating religion to winnie the pooh, it would sound crazy but I think that Hoff did a really great job having the ability to present his info in such a way that makes the reader actually see the relation. I agree, it is so important for us to find that balance. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that not much would get done if we all thought like taoists. Although a balance of work and relaxing is sometimes necessary, a carefree mentality would mean that not much would be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete